Cathrine Kraayeveld in her first game with the San Antonio Silver Stars.
Photo c/o of sasilverstars.com
That was interesting… to say the least. The Silver Stars lost their 4th home game of the season to the Mystics in front of their biggest crowd this season at the AT&T Center.11,268 were on hand to watch the Silver Stars battle the Mystics but the Stars just did not have enough to pull out the win. The Silver Stars were led by Jia Perkins season high 22 points. The Mystics had balanced scoring and were led by Crystal Langhorne who scored 14 points and 7 rebounds.
San Antonio – July 12, 2013
The San Antonio Silver Stars had just won on the road and were looking to make it a win streak. The Mystics didn’t make all the right plays and were coming off a tough loss at Chicago. The Silver Stars also signed a new player in Cathrine Kraayeveld as part of the hardship rule. The Stars started off slowly and the Mystics were able to grab a 4 point lead at the end of the 1st quarter. The Mystics were able to seperate themselves from the Silver Stars due to the play of Crystal Langhorne who had 12 points by half time. The Silver Stars also got in foul trouble resulting in free throws for the Mystics. The Mystics lead by 13 at the half. In the third quarter, the Silver Stars got back on track by forcing turnovers and shooting the ball better. Jia Perkins was able to get her shot going and the Silver Stars were only down 2 going into the fourth quarter. In the final quarter, the Silver Stars struggled mightily and could not score enough to pull out the win. The Mystics had their bench eventually give them the win. The final score was WASH 83 SA 73. The Mystics were able to win against SA for the first time since 2010. The Silver Stars now drop to 4-9 on the season and the Mystics improve to 7-7. The Silver Stars now head into CONN on Sunday to take on Tina Charles and the Connecticut Sun.
- Nice to see a big full crowd at the AT&T Center. Hopefully, this gets better as the season goes along when more marquee match ups will be played.
- I picked the Silver Stars to win this game, believe it or not. Clearly, I underestimated the Mystics and their solid bench play.
- Jayne Appel struggled due to foul trouble. She wasn’t aggressive and wasn’t looking to shoot at all. She only took 1 attempt. As I have stated, Jayne Appel is the Silver Stars important player. When she plays well, the Stars benefit.
- The Silver Stars were out rebounded really badly. The Mystics grabbed 44 rebounds, SASS 25
- The Silver Stars at time, took bad shots or ill advised shots. They also missed some easy layups and layups in traffic as well.
- I’m impressed with WASH’s Tierra Ruffin Pratt. She played really well and was aggressive all night. She finished with 10 points.
- SASS had trouble getting to the line tonight as they only went there 13 times. WASH went to the line THIRTY THREE times. There were some bad fouls on SASS’s part, and yes some of the fouls called on SASS were not fouls at all, but the Mystics attacked the basket and SA paid for it dearly.
- This to me, was a disappointing loss. After grabbing a great win against Phoenix, to lose against the Mystics at home was kind of underwhelming. I know WAS plays better and are better than SA this season, but I really thought that they were going to be better than they previously were.
- SA’s next game is at CONN. Both teams are bad this season, so not much else to say.